How we can make the California Democratic Party a relevant political force that inspires dedication and incites disruption, in 10 easy steps:
1. Embrace diversity and collaboration. Party politics are an enigma, difficult to decipher. Pull back the curtain, open the big tent.
2. Don’t just pay lip service to Latino engagement. Support legislation that helps Latino families. Y aprender a hablar español.
3. Truly involve Young Dems. No Sunday convention speech for the CYD President. Prime speaking spot. Maybe a Saturday lunch keynote.
4. Don’t send our best campaign staff and volunteers to Nevada. Invest in robust local field efforts to build the pipeline in CA.
5. Commit to values, not individual issues. We fight too many petty internal battles. Let’s work together to ensure progress for all.
6. Elect party leaders who answer to the party, not other masters. This might alienate traditional allies, but they’ll get over it.
7. Stop whining about every Trump tweet. Stop whining about the Electoral College. Just stop whining. Unless you have a solution.
8. Make this stuff fun! And no, I’m not talking about waving signs. Think outside the box. Hell, burn the box. Encourage initiative.
9. Educate the electorate. People have an enormous capacity to learn and evolve – if we slow down long enough to teach them.
10. Remember why we chose to be Democrats in the first place: Because together, we are the last best hope for the future of America.